It may be old news that most waste services in Forsyth County no longer accept glass in their curbside recycling bins, but there is a good reason why they do not. The short explanation is, the sorting process required for glass collected curbside contaminates the glass, wreaks havoc on sorting machinery, and lowers the overall value of the glass.
The good news is there are other options for recycling glass in Forsyth County; bring your glass bottles and jars to any one of the counties three Recycling Convenience Centers.
All you have to do is place the glass into the bin with the same color glass, clear, brown, or blue/green. By separating the glass at the source, the sorting process at the Materials Recovery Facility, or MRF, is bypassed. The glass instead goes directly to the glass recycling plant, and, most importantly, it stays out of the landfill.
Recycling facilities are open Monday through Saturday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and closed Sundays and holidays.
These centers also accept a variety of other recyclables
• Cardboard, Paperboard, Magazines, Office Paper and Junk Mail, Phonebooks
• Aluminum Cans, Steel/Tin Food Cans
• Glass Jars & Bottles Separated By Color: Brown, Clear, Green/Blue
• Plastic Bottles & Jugs: PETE #1, HDPE #2 Only. No plastic containers larger than one gallon.
• Batteries: Alkaline, Lithium, Nickel Cadmium and Lead Acid
• Printer Cartridges: Inkjet and Laser
• Used Motor Oil and Oil Filters
• Used Cooking Oil
• Clothing & Shoes
• Empty Small Propane Canisters
• Cloth Flags
• Scrap Metal - Car Parts, Lawn Mowers, Lawn Equipment, Pipes, Tools, Sinks, Open Drums, Etc.
Tires - Coal Mountain Location Only
Tires: $3 each, $15 on the rim
Paint: Liquid or dried latex-based and oil-based paints and stains in original containers. We do not accept leaking cans.
Latex Paint: 5-Gallon $10 | 2-Gallon $5 | 1-Gallon $3 | 1-Quart or Smaller $1
Oil Paint: 5-Gallon $15 | 1-Gallon $4 1-Quart $2 | 1-Pint $1 | Spray Can $1
Electronics - Tolbert Street Location Only
Televisions: $12 each (No wood console or rear projection Tv’s)
All Other Electronics: $2 per item or $5 unlimited
Items we can't accept:
• Any Type of Hazardous Waste
• Yard Waste (Grass Clippings, Branches, Logs, Dirt, etc.)
• Wooden or Cloth Furniture
• Appliances Containing Freon
• Construction Waste