By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Body of missing boater found
Still not clear what happened
Placeholder Image
Forsyth County News




Authorities have recovered the body of a 62-year-old Forsyth County man who had been missing on Lake Lanier since Aug. 24.

According to the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office, Stephen Bryk’s body was found about 5 p.m. Saturday in a cove of the lake by Dogwood Trail.

Kip Adams of the Forsyth County Coroner’s Office said the body was discovered by a boater and there were "no visual signs of foul play."

It had been 10 days since Bryk’s family reported that he had not returned from an outing alone on Lanier.

"It was a great relief to the family that they found his body," said son Jeff Bryk.

He said his father worked at the post office in Roswell and was nearing retirement. He was also a retired captain in the Army.

"He certainly loved the lake," Bryk said.

He noted that about two hours before a memorial service was to be held in his father’s honor, the family was told that the body had been found.

"Which was actually a blessing in many ways because we were able to have a little more closure and a proper ceremony," he said.

Bryk said the family is waiting for a report from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, where the body was sent, in the hopes of determining exactly what happened.

His pontoon boat was found Aug. 24 drifting in the water between Shady Grove Campground and Young Deer Park in northeastern Forsyth.

Public safety officials have said it appears Bryk had some engine trouble and got into the water to work on the boat.

However, they were unable to determine where that occurred, which hampered the search.

They couldn’t put divers in the water because they didn’t know where to look.

The Forsyth County Fire Department and Sheriff’s Office suspended search efforts after several days.

Rangers with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources continued to patrol several times a day in the area near the mouth of Young Deer Creek, not far from where Bryk’s body was eventually found.

Volunteers and family friends also participated in the search.