By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Hearing set for teen charged with November murder

The preliminary hearing for a 15-year-old facing murder charges in the shooting of an 18 year old during a domestic incident on Thanksgiving Day 2017 has been set for Monday, Jan. 8 at the Forsyth County Magistrate Court in Cumming.

The hearing for suspect Re’Deyon Hughes will be presided over by Judge Walker Bramblett and prosecuted by Heather Dunn.

According to Forsyth County District Attorney Penny Penn, the hearing is, “just the next step in the process,” and it will allow a judge to decide if there is enough evidence to show probable cause that Hughes committed the crimes he has been charged with and justify keeping him in custody awaiting trial.

Penn said that Hughes has been charged as an adult with murder and two counts of aggravated assault.

She added that based on the facts she has been presented with, it is highly likely that Judge Walker Bramblett will rule to keep Hughes in custody.  

Hughes was arrested in November for allegedly shooting and killing DreLandon Brown.

A news release by the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office said that authorities responded to the scene of the domestic dispute at the Riverbrooke subdivision in the 1200 block of Wondering Way late Nov. 23. Upon arrival, personnel discovered that 18-year-old Brown had been shot and killed by a suspect who then fled the scene. 

Deputies quickly located Hughes after occupants of the home identified the shooter as a person known to them and reported that he had fled on foot, taking a 2-week-old male infant with him, the release stated.

“We got a description of the suspect, and our deputies located him within minutes,” said Forsyth County Sheriff Ron Freeman. “The strange part about this is when he [the suspect] left, he took a 2-week-old baby … that had us more concerned than anything else, hoping the [baby] was OK.”

Hughes was taken into custody with the uninjured infant on Grey Rock Way after he, “complied with officers and placed the child safely on the ground and surrendered without incident,” according to the release.