By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Man pleads guilty to fireworks assault
Admits to pulling gun on worker
Placeholder Image
Forsyth County News

A 28-year-old Cumming man pleaded guilty Friday to aggravated assault as a result of a confrontation over parking for a Fourth of July fireworks show.

Kristian Harris received three years of probation, 120 hours of community service and a $500 fine in a negotiated plea before Forsyth County Superior Court Judge Philip Smith.

Smith, reading from the indictment, noted Harris had been accused of pointing a gun at another man on July 3 at Cumming Nursing Center.

“Who is [that man]?” Smith asked.

Harris responded: “I have no idea.”

Harris said he’d been watching the Cumming fireworks show from the Chevron station just down Castleberry Road, but decided to find another spot because the trees were blocking his view.

He parked in the grass at the nursing center, where an employee told him to move his truck.

Harris’ attorney, Nolan Hamer, said he then touched the gun and the employee felt threatened.

Harris denied having pointed the gun at the employee, but chose to plead guilty because he felt the state had enough evidence that a jury would convict him.

Assistant District Attorney James Dunn said the employee told Harris he couldn’t park on the grass.

“Mr. Harris pointed the gun right at him with a smirk on his face and said, ‘Whatever,’” said Dunn, recounting the employee’s statement.

Harris then moved his car back to the original location and the employee called police.

Authorities reported after the incident that the pistol was not loaded, Harris had “pulled it” on the employee and then set it on the dash of his vehicle.

Harris was arrested about 2 a.m. July 4 on charges of aggravated assault and pointing a pistol at another. He was released from the Forsyth County Detention Center less than two hours later after posting $13,860 bond.

Dunn said the employee agreed with the terms of the negotiated plea, which also included a condition that Harris not have any contact with the worker or Cumming Nursing Center.