By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
North Forsyth standoff ends in shooting
Crime scene tape winds through the trees

What began as a shots fired call in a northeastern Forsyth County neighborhood on Wednesday turned into an armed standoff overnight, ending with one man shot and killed by deputies.  

Cpl. Doug Rainwater, a spokesperson for the Forsyth County Sheriff's Office, said the call came in just after 10:30 p.m.

"911 got a shots fired call referring to two males having a dispute on Grand Prix Street," Rainwater said. "Once deputies arrived, we were able to put one of the males in custody very quickly."

Rainwater said the other man who was armed went inside a home on Grand Prix Street, which is located off Pilgrim Mill Road, and refused to come out.

"At that point, we surrounded the house and called out our negotiators to try to negotiate this man coming out," Rainwater said. "... We also activated our SWAT team."

Rainwater said the man came out of the house several times, armed each time. After about two hours, the man came out, still armed, and confronted deputies.

"Deputies used force and shot him," Rainwater said.

Rainwater said that, while the investigation is still ongoing, he does not believe the man fired directly at deputies.

Deputies performed first aid on the man, who was then taken to an area hospital. Nelly Miles, a public information office with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, confirmed the man died. None of the deputies involved was injured, according to Rainwater.

Rainwater said they are talking to the other man involved to learn what brought about the gunplay that started the incident. 

Deputies do know who both men are but are not releasing either of their identities at this time, according to Rainwater. They are both identified as white male adults.

The deputies involved have been placed on administrative leave during the investigation, which is being conducted by the GBI.