By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Standoff ends safely
Burglary suspect surrenders in north Forsyth
Adam Richard Wesley

Authorities spent about two hours Wednesday afternoon trying to coax a suspected burglar out of a house in north Forsyth.

Adam Richard Wesley, 28, who was wanted for financial transaction card theft and burglary, is being held at the Forsyth County Detention Center, said Forsyth County Sheriff’s Capt. Tim House.

Additional charges in connection with the incident, which ended peacefully, are likely.

The standoff began about noon after Wesley locked himself inside a home on Carnegie Hall Court in the Ansley at Pilgrim Mill subdivision, House said.

The homeowner had installed video surveillance cameras after recent burglaries and notified authorities after realizing someone was in the house.

House said Wesley, who lived about four houses down from the residence, was the only person inside.

The incident drew the sheriff’s SWAT unit to the residence.

According to Sheriff’s Capt. Ron Freeman, deputies had learned from several sources that Wesley had recently been seen wearing a handgun in his waistband.

When deputies arrived Wednesday, Freeman said Wesley attempted to run out the back door of the house. He went back inside when confronted by a deputy.

Freeman explained that SWAT was summoned because authorities didn’t know for sure if Wesley was armed. They also didn’t know his location in the house.

"That just allows us to get guys that are better trained and better equipped to come to the scene," Freeman said.

Authorities parked the sheriff’s Bearcat, a nine-ton, bulletproof vehicle equipped with a battering ram, in the driveway where Wesley could see it.

Negotiators used the vehicle’s loud speaker to communicate with the suspect.

"I think his description was, ‘I saw a tank with machine guns,’" Freeman said.

"And when he saw that, he started communicating with negotiators."

He added that it wasn’t long after that Wesley agreed to surrender.

Wesley was taken into custody about 2:20 p.m. No injuries were reported in the incident.

Freeman said authorities found stolen property and what they think is evidence of other criminal activity during a search of Wesley’s home that afternoon.