By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Suspect pleads not guilty to murder charge
Teen, 15, allegedly shot man in November
Re’Deyon Hughes
Re’Deyon Hughes, 15, pleaded not guilty to charges of murder and aggravated assault stemming from a November 2017 shooting. - photo by File photo

At an arraignment Wednesday, 15-year-old Re’Deyon Hughes pleaded not guilty to charges of murder and aggravated assault stemming from a November 2017 shooting.

Hughes, who appeared in Superior Court of Judge David L. Dickinson for the first time Wednesday morning, was formally read his charges and entered the plea.

According to court records, Hughes may be scheduled for trial at a hearing held April 20.

Hughes was arrested in late November 2017 for the shooting death of DreLandon Brown, and has been charged as an adult with alleged murder and two counts of aggravated assault.

At a previous hearing held in January, details about the incident that led to Hughes’ arrest were revealed by Michael Christian, lead investigator in the shooting which occurred at 1240 Wondering Way about 8 p.m. Nov. 23.

Christian said that, upon arrival, law enforcement officials discovered that 18-year-old DreLandon Brown, a resident of the home, had been shot and killed by a suspect who then fled the scene. He said that according to interviews, Hughes was identified as the shooter by the homeowner.

After the incident, Christian said that Hughes was allegedly seen on a neighbor’s security camera fleeing the scene carrying a 2-week-old male infant: his son.

Deputies took Hughes into custody on Grey Rock Way after he “complied with officers and placed the child safely on the ground and surrendered without incident.”

Christian said that when Hughes was taken into custody he said, “‘dude, I never meant for that to happen,’ and ‘oh no, my life is over and I just got out,’” and asked “repeatedly how the other guy was.”

Hughes is represented by attorneys Daisy Weeks and Jacob Stidham. His case will be prosecuted by Heather Dunn.

Following the arraignment, Weeks said they are still “looking into the circumstances that led to” Hughes’ arrest.