In the wake of a recent carbon monoxide incident at an Atlanta elementary school, Forsyth County School Superintendent Buster Evans said staff members are evaluating local campuses to ensure safety.
Students at Finch Elementary in Atlanta attended class Tuesday at a nearby middle school while their campus remained closed after a carbon monoxide leak Monday sickened some students and teachers.
State law does not require schools or systems to have carbon monoxide detectors.
While the Forsyth district does not monitor for the gas, Evans said all of the schools are “under a strict preventive maintenance program where the heating and air conditioning systems are checked regularly.”
“Our schools have energy recovery units which bring in 15 [cubic feet per minute] of tempered outside air per student when the classroom is occupied to improve overall air quality,” said Evans in the statement.
“With our [preventive maintenance] program and the quality design of our HVAC systems, we believe these practices provide for a safe and healthy air quality environment in our schools.”