By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
South teens still in hospital
Placeholder Image
Forsyth County News

Three South Forsyth High School sophomores were listed in stable condition Monday following a suspected drug overdose on campus Friday, officials said.

The 15-year-old male students were taken to Northside Hospital-Forsyth after authorities said they ingested what appeared to be an over-the-counter medication. The students' identities have not been released.

Russ Davis, hospital spokesman, said one of the students was released Friday, but readmitted that night.

Davis said that the student is in stable but guarded condition, meaning he is being watched more closely than the others.

"I think they are improving, obviously since Friday," Davis said. "I think we had at least one critical condition report last week and we're at stable now."

It is not clear when the teenagers will go home. Davis said he didn't think any other students had been admitted for similar reasons.

Authorities made an arrest Friday in connection with the incident.

Capt. Paul Taylor of the Forsyth County Sheriff's Office said a 16-year-old female student was charged with the possession and sale of a Schedule 2 narcotic on school grounds.

Taylor said the girl, whose name has not been released, reportedly sold the drug to one of the three boys. Authorities suspect the drug was liquid methadone.

The student also faces a misdemeanor marijuana charge, Taylor said.

Authorities have not ruled out the possibility of more charges or additional arrests.

The school is located off Peachtree Parkway, near the sheriff's office south precinct. Sheriff's deputies and Forsyth County Fire Department responded to the incident.

The high school was put on lockdown twice, officials said, from about 10 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. while public safety personnel worked to ensure student safety.

South Principal Jason Branch said the situation was unusual for his school. A letter sent home to parents detailed the incident. Information also was posted on the school Web site.