A blaze that claimed the lives of three family members last spring and destroyed a home in north Forsyth has been ruled accidental, fire officials said.
Sue Iams, 77, and her adult children, Thomas Iams, 52, and Kimberly Iam, 47, died in the April 16 fire, which started in a bedroom of their mobile home at 8905 Little Mill Road.
Forsyth County Fire Capt. Jason Shivers said the department has closed its investigation of the matter.
"It was purely accidental," Shivers said. "There was nothing suspicious, but the exact cause and origin could not be determined.
"That was after thorough investigations by both Forsyth Fire and the insurance company."
Firefighters found smoke detectors in the home, but they did not have batteries in them.
The blaze was reported about 10:45 p.m. after a passing motorist saw the flames.