By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Gainesville man dies in south Forsyth crash
Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 10.49.33 AM

SOUTH FORSYTH — Three separate crashes that occurred within three hours of each other Tuesday around McFarland Parkway, Ga. 400 and McGinnis Ferry Road claimed the life of a Gainesville man and critically injured another driver.

According to the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office, the fatality stemmed from a two-vehicle collision that occurred about noon at McFarland Parkway and the entrance ramp to Ga. 400 north.

Franklin Smith, 49, was attempting to turn left onto Ga. 400 from eastbound McFarland in a 2006 Toyota Corolla.

As he made the turn, a 2011 Ford Mustang traveling west on McFarland entered the intersection and struck the front passenger side of the Corolla.

Evidence at the scene indicated Smith had a green arrow to make the left onto Ga. 400, said Deputy Epifanio Rodriguez, a spokesman for the sheriff’s office.

When sheriff’s deputies arrived, Smith was unresponsive “with an obvious head injury.”

He was taken in critical condition to an area hospital, where he later died, according to the sheriff’s office.

The 53-year-old male driver of the Mustang was treated for minor injuries at the scene, Rodriguez said.

As of Thursday, no charges had been filed and the crash remains under investigation, according to Rodriguez.

Later that afternoon, a cement truck driver suffered what authorities described as life-threatening injuries when he was trapped in his overturned vehicle.

According to Forsyth County Fire Division Chief Jason Shivers, the truck was heading south on McGinnis Ferry and attempting to make a right turn onto westbound McFarland about 2:30 p.m.

During the turn, the loaded cement mixer rolled onto the driver’s side, trapping the man in the cab for about 30 minutes.

“He was injured significantly. He did sustain trauma,” Shivers said.

He added that it took 16 firefighters working with “multiple sets of extrication equipment” to free the man. He was taken to North Fulton Hospital.

The man’s injuries, Shivers said, were “life threatening because of the mechanism of the injury, of his severe entrapment involving a lot of weight and heavy compression onto his body.”

No other vehicles were involved.