By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Grazie Mille apparently closed, questions remain
Former Sal’s Place owner disappears from public as website goes down
Sal's

It appears a popular south Forsyth Italian restaurant has closed its doors for an unknown amount of time, and it is not immediately clear why.

Since the beginning of the month, customers have been posting on social media accounts for Grazie Mille asking about the status of the Italian restaurant on Buford Highway (Hwy. 20) with some stating the business has been sold. Messages left for the eatery’s owner, Salvatore Salamone, were not returned.

Salamone opened the restaurant to patrons’ excitement in late 2016. It was his second Italian restaurant in the area. Salamone and his family previously ran Sal’s Place in downtown Cumming for 14 years before selling it in 2016 due to concerns of limited space downtown.

Salamone said at the time of the opening the restaurant’s name means “a thousand thanks” in Italian and that he had considered opening a restaurant in another town.

“I wanted to do something different, was thinking further up north like maybe toward Dahlonega, and I happened to be looking around and stumbled across this place,” he said.

The restaurant was popular for its pizza, sandwiches, calzones and salads. 

An alcohol license was issued to the business with Salamone as the licensee by the county on Jan. 5. Officials with the county’s Planning and Community Development Department said the restaurant’s business and alcohol licenses will expire on Dec. 31 if not renewed.

The last posts on the restaurant’s social media page are from late June, and its website is down.

If closed for good, Grazie Mille is the second business to turn over at the location in less than a year. Maxwell Street Chicago Eatery operated from August 2015 until November 2016 after closing for “unforeseen circumstances.”