By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Election call to list projects
Board votes to do so as precaution
Placeholder Image
Forsyth County News

Also

The deadline to register to vote in the July 31 election is July 2. A runoff election, if necessary would be held Aug. 21. For more information, visit forsythco.com, click on “election information.”

The Forsyth County Board of Elections will again advertise the call for a special election this summer.

It will be the second time the board has announced the measure for the 1-cent regional transportation sales and use tax on July 31.

During a meeting Tuesday, attorney Paul Frickey said the advertisement needed to be reworked because the first one didn’t include the list of all the projects the sales tax would support.

Frickey told the board that publishing the entire project list doesn’t appear to be mandatory, but it’s a safety precaution, as few likely will be upset the county provided too much information.

“I still stand by the fact that the original call complied with legal requirements, Frickey said. “This should head off any [legal] challenge.”

Voters on July 31 will also decide Republican and Democratic primaries for local and state offices.

The sales tax is part of the Transportation Investment Act of 2010, allowing a dozen special districts across the state to ask voters to approve a 1 percent sales tax.

Over the course of 10 years, the tax would provide revenue for transportation projects.

The Georgia Mountains district, which includes Forsyth, Hall, Dawson and 10 other counties, could collect nearly $1.26 billion over the 10 years.

The proposed regional projects would be funded with 75 percent of the money the tax takes in. The other 25 percent would go to individual cities and counties for local high-priority road projects.

The tax will be decided by a majority vote, so counties with a larger voting population will have more sway.

Projects in Forsyth include several intersection improvement and widening projects on Hwys. 20, 141 and 369.

It also includes expanding Ga. 400 from McFarland Parkway to Hwy. 20, or between Exits 12-14.

The board voted to approve calling the election again, with the inclusion of the complete Georgia Mountain project list during a meeting Tuesday.

Board member Donald Glover said having to spend more money to advertise again “is the pitfalls of getting your work done way ahead.”

The state agencies furnished the project list about a week ago, said Barbara Luth, Forsyth’s elections supervisor.

“They did provide one for every county,” she said. “It’s just that they weren’t quick to doing it.”

Luth said as an extra precaution, the July 31 election precincts will each provide voters with a project list to look at before voting on the tax.

“I’d rather have it out there so we have less questions,” she said after the meeting.