By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
No injuries in fire at duplex
Flames spread from nearby pine straw
fire
Firefighters inspect damage to a duplex on Hutchinson Trace Road. No one was injured in the blaze. - photo by Jim Dean

 

No one was injured in a blaze Monday afternoon that damaged a duplex south of Cumming.

Forsyth County Fire Capt. Jason Shivers said the fire started about 4 p.m. Monday in pine straw used for landscaping at 3721 Hutchinson Trace Road.

The flames traveled from the pine straw to a nearby garbage can, where they then burned up the siding on the rear corner of the home.

“It’s a great example as to why we discourage the use of dry, flammable materials directly adjacent to structures,” Shivers said.

The flames did not cause damage inside the duplex, where there was an elderly woman inside at the time.

“She was not aware of the fire until a neighbor knocked on the door and advised her of it,” Shivers said.

The flames did not cause damage inside the duplex.

Shivers said fire investigators think the blaze was accidental. It appears to have been started by a cigarette butt, though that has not been confirmed.

He said the quick response from firefighters at Station 1 helped keep the flames from destroying the house.