Firefighters put out a blaze Friday at a poultry processing plant in Cumming.
The fire started about 6 a.m. in a processing area of Koch Poultry.
Forsyth County Fire Capt. Jason Shivers said the blaze appears to have originated in a piece of equipment as employees started the line back up after the Thanksgiving holiday.
“A motor seized,” Shivers said. “The workers left the area to get tools to try and free it. And by the time they got back to the area, the equipment or the wiring to it was on fire.”
The flames spread into an area containing ammonia, but no evacuations were required, Shivers said.
The processing area and the adjoining rooms were damaged and there was smoke damage throughout the plant.
According to Shivers, plant officials said the entire stock of frozen poultry product will have to be disposed of due to possible smoke/chemical contamination. He did not know the exact amount.
Shivers said workers had begun to repair the damage to the facility Friday afternoon.
One side of Veterans Memorial Boulevard was closed for a short time during the incident.