Trick-or-treating will take place on Halloween on Monday, Oct. 31. Local neighborhoods may have different times, but those participating generally mark their homes with a lit porchlight. Inquire with neighbors about when the night is scheduled to begin and end.
Goblins, ghouls and ghosts will be out and about Monday evening, celebrating the Oct. 31 Halloween holiday with trick-or-treating.
To ensure the spirits have a peaceful night, Forsyth County officials have a few safety reminders to keep Halloween enjoyable.
Here are some tips from Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office Cpl. Pete Sabella and Forsyth County Fire Department Division Chief Jason Shivers.
Lighting and roads
• If trick-or-treating after dark, make sure to have a flashlight, glow stick and/or a reflective bag
• Make sure costumes also have reflective material so that when headlights hit them, they bounce back quickly and are obvious to motorists.
Lights on costumes are also welcome
• Look both ways before crossing the street
• Ensure masks don’t obstruct vision, which is especially important when crossing streets and going up and down steps
• Younger children should be accompanied by an adult or older sibling
• If older children are heading out without a parent or guardian, a time limit should be preset for their arrival home
• Always follow lighted paths and sidewalks; don’t wander into dark places, especially not alone
• Stay on sidewalks and don’t cut across yards – bees, snakes and wasps are still active due to the warm weather
• Wear proper walking shoes
• Be sure children’s costumes are flame-resistant or made of a fire-resistant material. Those that are homemade or of cheaper grade can be somewhat dangerous
• If the costume is flowy, keep it short enough so a child or other person will not trip and fall
• If a costume does catch fire, stop, drop and roll
• Children should not eat any treats until they have been inspected by an adult
• Parents should check all the treats in a well-lit area and throw out anything not sealed
• Be aware if a child has a food or nut allergy