By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Weekend fire displaces family in north Forsyth
Fire

A family has been displaced from their home after a fire caused significant damage to the attic and roof of a north Forsyth residence Sunday afternoon. 

According to Division Chief Jason Shivers of the Forsyth County Fire Department, multiple engines and support vehicles responded to an address off of Shady Grove Road in north Forsyth at 2 p.m. and found the roof line of the home emitting large amounts of smoke.  

He said that all residents of the home were able to evacuate uninjured, and that firefighters worked quickly to extinguish the flames and fight the fire inside the structure. 

He said that during the operation, Shady Grove Road was closed down for about three hours while hoses were run from a hydrant to the residence. 

Fire damage from the incident was limited to the attic spaces, but according to Shivers the home had significant amounts of smoke, water and debris damage to the first floor. 

Shivers said personnel have determined that the fire was accidental, and it originated in the chimney system above a wood fire stove. 

“Heat or embers made their way into the chimney space and spread into the attic space,” Shivers said.

He said that the residence will likely not be a total loss, but that the family has been displaced and is currently living with family nearby.