Mother’s Day is next Sunday. Have you made plans to get something special for mom?
Being a mother is often a thankless job, so this is the perfect opportunity to remind mom that she is loved and appreciated.
Instead of ordering flowers, why not change it up and do something different this year. There is a week to make it happen.
Here are some ideas to help get the creative thoughts going.
• Creative subscriptions. Thanks to the Internet, we can get subscriptions to almost anything.
Think about what a special mom loves to do. I recently got an olive oil subscription.
Every three months, I receive three different olive oils from around the world. There is a newsletter describing where the oils are from, the vineyards, the vineyard owners, etc.
There are also recipes and suggestions for the best uses for the oils. I love this gift and moms who love to cook will too.
Another unusual and awesome subscription is one for premium quality meats.
I found one that ships various cuts of grass-fed beef, pork and pastured chicken in a cooler.
Customers get to choose one type or a mixed box. The meat comes frozen in a cooler.
Many services have no contract and can be canceled at any time.
• Georgia box. If mom lives in another state, or even if she doesn’t, why not put together a box highlighting the Peach State.
Parsons Gifts in Cumming has a great selection of products from Georgia that are sure to please. While there, pick up some decorative items to add to the box.
• Farmer’s market bag. Unique items can always be found at local farmer’s markets.
Whether homemade jams, jellies or pickles or handcrafted soaps, there are plenty of one-of-a-kind finds mom is sure to love.
• Sawnee Association of the Arts. Has anybody visited the recently opened SAA? The adorable “house” is located at 2202 Canton Highway, near Bethelview Road.
Mom will absolutely love receiving a gift made by one of our many talented local artists. There is a plethora of jewelry, pottery, handbags, paintings, and much more.
• Pampering kit. Put together a collection of items designed to pamper mom.
Possibilities include a robe, slippers, fuzzy socks, bubble bath or bath salts, lotion, candles and a soft towel.
• Beach bag. If mom is planning on going to the beach, the lake or just the neighborhood pool, a new beach bag will make her day.
For an even better gift, pack the bag with flip flops, a big beach towel, sunscreen, the latest best-selling novel and some lip balm.
• Gardening pot. If mom loves to garden, head over to a nursery and load up on some new gardening tools, flowers, herbs and garden art.
If possible, pile it all in a clay pot and secure with a big ribbon.
• Cooking basket. If mom loves to cook, I’m positive she will appreciate any sort of kitchen gadgets.
Don’t worry if mom has some of them, we kitchen types always love new things. Wrap the gadgets in some new re-useable shopping bags.
• A letter. No gift will make mom as happy. Jot down some special memories of mom and make sure to include why she is special and how much she is appreciated.
I promise the letter will be the highlight of her day and she will cherish it forever. I still tear up when I read notes our children wrote to me over the years, especially those handmade gifts from when they were in elementary school.
Now get busy before next Sunday. Make it the best Mother’s Day ever.
Adlen Robinson is author of “Home Matters: The Guide to Organizing Your Life and Home.” E-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org.