By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Football: South Forsyth nearly stuns No. 1 Blessed Trinity
Chase Calloway
South Forsyth senior Chase Calloway tries to corral a loose ball Friday during the War Eagles' 34-31 loss to No. 1 Blessed Trinity. Photo by David Roberts

South Forsyth nearly pulled it off. 

What seemed improbable at one point teetered on the brink of impossible and ended with the unbelievable, as the War Eagles came seconds from erasing a 27-point fourth-quarter deficit to stun No. 1 Blessed Trinity. 

Down 34-7 in the fourth quarter, South mounted a furious comeback led by sophomore quarterback Kyle Durham, who led the War Eagles on three consecutive touchdown drives, converting the two-point conversion each time, one of which began after a successful onside kick.

Durham, who watched the first two series from the sidelines, completed 20 of 27 passes for 310 yards and two touchdowns.

His last touchdown was a 23-yard strike to Devin McGlockton, which was set up by McGlockton's 37-yard circus catch down the sidelines, where he snared a tipped ball as he was falling to the ground.

Durham's touchdown pass made the game 34-31 with 5.4 seconds left, and the War Eagles needed another successful onside kick. 

South kicker Willian Botta delivered a perfect kick, and paid the price as he absorbed a ferocious hit, and Gavin Morris appeared to recover the ball for the War Eagles, but the officials called a penalty, which allowed Blessed Trinity to take the ball and run out the clock.

“They don’t know what they called," South coach Jeff Arnette said. "Starting with, they called that they illegally hit us, and we illegally touched. They never gave me an explanation, which is why I was so upset. At a point that big in the game, they’ve got to give you an explanation, and they didn’t.”

Senior Joe Slott started at quarterback for South but was pulled after the first two drives ended with a punt and turnover on downs. 

Slott managed to drive the War Eagles down the field on the game's second drive, but a high snap turned a 3rd-and-10 at the Titans' 13-yard line into a 4th-and-29, which South couldn't convert.

Slott completed 7 of 16 passes for 50 yards, adding two interceptions. 

Durham threw one interception of his own, a pick-six off a tipped pass that James Bryant returned for a touchdown.

Still, Durham drew high praise from Arnette, who said both quarterbacks will continue to play. 

“He was running with his legs, making plays with his arm, doing a lot of really good stuff," Arnette said of Durham. "Slott did well when he was in there, but we ended up sticking with Kyle. Coach (Troy) Morris and his staff studies that situation a lot, and we play with two guys a lot. They both played good, so after the half we just went with who we thought was hot.”

“I was trying to use words to tell them how unbelievable that was, and I don’t know," Arnette said. "There ain’t many teams down 34-7 with eight minutes to go that get the ball with a chance to throw the touchdown to win it, or kick a field goal. Unbelievable. I’m speechless.”

Blessed Trinity quarterback Duncan Reavis finished 1 of 9 passing for 16 yards, with his lone completion coming with 33 seconds remaining in the third quarter.

Reavis also had an interception, an errant pass picked off by Colby Cruz, who had a standout game on both sides of the ball. Cruz caught six passes for 61 yards.

South (1-1) will travel to Etowah (2-0) next week for a 7:30 kick.