By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Soccer: South boys clip West in OT
Canedo scores pair of goals more than 81 minutes apart
sports-SFWFsoccer1-websmall alt JP
South Forsyth goalkeeper Kyler Kelsey leaps above teammate Drew Witalis and West Forsyths Ranier Lopez on Tuesday at War Eagle Stadium. South defeated West 2-1 in overtime. - photo by Jared Putnam

After South Forsyth and West Forsyth each scored a goal in the first 1:13 of the game, both teams went scoreless for the next 78:47 and forced overtime.

South forward Efrain Canedo, who scored his first goal 31 seconds into the match, knocked in his second goal of the game on a shot from the far right side of the box and curved it into the back of the net with 1:24 left in the first overtime period and gave South a 2-1 victory over West on Tuesday at War Eagle Stadium. South has won nine of its last 10 games after starting the season 2-6.

The win moved the War Eagles (11-5, 8-5 Region 6-AAAAAA) into sole possession of the third seed, while West (9-7, 7-6) is now tied with Johns Creek for the fourth and final playoff spot with only one region game left.

"I work hard," Canedo said. "I knew the goal was going to come sooner or later because that’s just something I work hard for. They were both [off my right foot], and I’m a lefty.

"… We control our own fate [now,] but tonight we weren’t the best team, but we pulled it off somehow."

Canedo’s first goal was almost exactly from the same spot as his game-winner. South took its opening drive down the field and passed it over to Canedo on the right side for a bending shot past the West keeper.

Forty-two seconds later, midfielder John Newman responded for the Wolverines with a shot from about 15 yards away that curved into the left corner to tie the game at 1-1.

"Both teams were fighting hard all night and we were fortunate to come out on tonight," South head coach Tom Braun said. "Canedo had both goals tonight, worked hard, put the ball in the back of the net and came out on top.

"We just got caught watching and I guess we thought the game was over after 30 seconds. We knew that they wouldn’t quit and stood there and watched them shoot the ball, and they put it right in the corner and equaled the game right up. And then it was a stalemate for the next 78 minutes."

West forward Kwaku Adu-Boahene nearly gave his team the lead on three separate occasions. His header was just wide in the 44th minute, a shot was tipped away by keeper Kyler Kelsey in the 50th minute and a shot from 10 yards away on the far right side of the box deflected off the goal with 1:27 left in regulation.

"It’s frustrating," West head coach Jason Bayush said. "We knew coming in that [they] were a great defensive team and that we were going to have to capitalize on the opportunities we had. We missed a couple of easy shots, but they got a great goalkeeper, they got [a] great defense.

"… We’re still in the hunt for the playoffs. Now, it’s fighting for the four seed, and we got to lock that up."