FORSYTH COUNTY – The American Red Cross issued an emergency request for blood and platelet donations this week, and there are several upcoming opportunities for locals to donate.
Rresidents will have at least nine chances in Forsyth County this month to donate to the American Red Cross. The group has about 39,000 fewer donations than needed nationwide, which it attributed to many regular donors being away on vacation.
“Right now, blood products are being distributed to hospitals faster than donations are coming in, which is why we are making this emergency request for donations,” said Mario Sedlock, of the American Red Cross, in a news release. “Donations are urgently needed now to meet the needs of hospital patients in the coming days and weeks.”
Per the release, the Red Cross needs 14,000 donations each day to serve more than 2,600 hospitals and transfusion centers and supplies about 40 percent of the county’s blood.
About 650 fewer blood drives are scheduled this week than average.
Donations will be taken at the following upcoming events at schools, businesses, churches and medical centers across the county:
• July 9: Northside Hospital-Forsyth, 1200 Northside Forsyth Dr., 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
• July 11: Sharon Forks Library, 585 Dahlonega St., 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
• July 13: Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Urgent Care, 410 Peachtree Pkwy., 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
• July 15: Ashley Furniture, 2475 Market Place Blvd., 12-5 p.m.
• July 16: Lambert High School, 805 Nichols Rd., 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
• July 18: Post Road Library, 5010 Post Rd., 2-7 p.m.
• July 20: Grace Chapel Church of Christ, 6755 Majors Rd., 2:30-7:30 p.m.
• July 22: Northside Hospital-Forsyth, 1200 Northside Forsyth Dr., 7 a.m.-5 p.m.
• July 29: Bruster’s Real Ice Cream, 5850 Gateway Drive, 2-7 p.m.
Those wanting to donate can schedule appointments by calling 1(800) 733-2767, going to redcrossblood.org or using the American Red Cross’s Blood Donor app.