By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
No one hurt in blaze at South Forsyth business

SOUTH FORSYTH — A fire Sunday night at an industrial ball bearing manufacturing company near Ga. 400 in south Forsyth damaged the building and equipment but left employees unharmed.

Hoover Precision Products, 2200 Pendley Road, sounded a commercial fire alarm about 9 p.m. Jan. 4, said Forsyth County Fire Division Chief Jason Shivers.

The fire was thought to have originated from a commercial, high-intensity oven used in the manufacturing process, according to Shivers. Smoke and flames travled to the ventilation hood that leads to the roof.

Staff is in production around the clock, he said, but all employees got out of the building without injury.

“Those employees are well-trained and prepared for small fires,” Shivers said.

Firefighters contained the damage to the area in which the blaze started, affecting some of the roofing tar. When they got there, “significant fire was showing through the roof” where the vent ended.

“All in all,” Shivers said, “the system worked safely and as it should and kept it contained.”