The Forsyth County Fire Department is reminding residents as they turn their clocks back an hour for the end of daylight-saving time Sunday to replace the batteries in their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
“It takes only a few minutes and could prove to be life saving,” said Fire Chief Danny Bowman.
Along with changing out the batteries every six months, the department recommends monthly testing.
Fire Capt. Jason Shivers said smoke detectors should be installed on every level of a home. Moreover, they should be clean and free of dust.
“Properly installing and maintaining smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home can help protect your family and your property,” he said.
The fire department’s public safety education division provides and installs free smoke detectors for senior citizens and those in need.