By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Deputies back after shooting
Suspect held in Cherokee
Hollis Dean Garmon - photo by Submitted


Two Forsyth County Sheriff’s deputies involved in a shooting last month that injured a burglary suspect have returned to work.

Sheriff’s Investigators Tom McCullagh and Sgt. Scott Wilson were placed on paid administrative leave shortly after the Oct. 21 incident, pending a Georgia Bureau of Investigation probe.

GBI spokesman John Bankhead said the incident remains under investigation.

Once the agency has completed its work, which Bankhead said could take weeks, the investigative file will be turned over to the Forsyth County District Attorney’s Office.

The suspect, Hollis Dean Garmon of Evans Drive, was taken to North Fulton Hospital, where he underwent surgery for bullet wounds.

McCullagh and Wilson returned to work Tuesday, said Sheriff’s Capt. Frank Huggins, adding that Garmon was released from the hospital Monday night.

“They have a medical facility, so he’s in custody at the Cherokee County jail,” Huggins said. 

Garmon, 38, has been charged with burglary, aggravated assault on a police officer and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

He was shot Oct. 21 at a residence off Keith Bridge Road.

Authorities said McCullagh and Wilson arrived at the residence that morning to talk with the homeowner, an acquaintance of Garmon’s, about the suspect's whereabouts.

As Wilson walked to the back of the mobile home, Garmon ran out and over to a pickup, where he reportedly grabbed a shotgun.

Sheriff Ted Paxton has said Wilson yelled for Garmon to drop the firearm and then drew his weapon.

Garmon refused and pointed the shotgun at Wilson, who fired.

Paxton noted the gun Garmon used had been stolen in a burglary in Cherokee County.

McCullagh heard the confrontation, which had ended by the time he got to the back of the mobile home, the sheriff said.

Garmon’s criminal history dates back nearly 20 years.

Georgia Department of Corrections records show he was released from prison in October 2009 after serving about four months on theft and drug charges.

Garmon was first arrested by the sheriff’s office in 1992. Jail records show that he has been charged with a litany of offenses over the years, including theft, embezzlement, possession of methamphetamine and cruelty to children.

McCullagh, 30, has been with the sheriff’s office since Dec. 30, 2003, and Wilson, 41, has worked for the agency since Jan. 8, 1996, employment records show.