By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Several from sheriff's office hailed for hard work
Forsyth County Sheriffs Deputy Scott Goldsberry and his canine officer, Tryst, receive recognition from their supervisor, Maj. Mark Hoffman. Tryst was one of three retiring canines honored during the ceremony. - photo by Crystal Ledford

FORSYTH COUNTY — Several Forsyth County Sheriff’s deputies were promoted Wednesday during a ceremony that also recognized some retiring canine officers.

“[They] are out there actually doing what we’re asking them to do and being professional and doing great things for the public,” Chief Deputy Mike Giordano told the crowd assembled at the Forsyth County Public Safety Complex. “We want the public to see it, that this is what’s going on and the hard work that they’re putting in.”

Five deputies were promoted during the ceremony, with a family member of each pinning the new badge.

“It’s not just about the officers,” Giordano said. “It’s about the families as well, and this ceremony is a place where families can come and see their loved ones being recognized in front of everybody and that’s a big part of it.”

The deputies receiving promotions were: Scott Wilson, who went from sergeant to lieutenant; Sebastian Strano, from sergeant to lieutenant; Matt Starr, from corporal to sergeant; Jason Soles, from corporal to sergeant; and Chad Evers, from deputy to sergeant.

Three retiring canine officers were honored along with their handlers. They were: Tryst and handler Deputy Scott Goldsberry; Sheba and handler Cpl. Kevin Mitchell; and Bogey and handler Deputy Scott Banning. The canine officers typically serve seven to nine years.

In addition, Stephen Maddox, Terri Wright, Starr and Michael Hurst received awards for going above and beyond.

Maddox was honored for helping capture a man who was attempting to buy a firearm after making threats to “shoot up a school.”

Wright was recognized for apprehending suspects in a drug case and helping remove several severely neglected children from the home.

Starr was recognized helping save a man who had fallen on the Big Creek Greenway but didn’t want the ambulance that had been called.

After speaking with the man, Starr realized he did need medical treatment. The man was taken to the hospital, where it was determined he had a brain bleed and likely would have died without quick medical care.

Hurst was named Deputy of the Quarter for his daily performance and work on a February drug fraud case.