By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Cumming Playhouse damaged by fire

A fire at the Cumming Playhouse Monday night was stopped before it spread beyond a single area of the historic Cumming Building. 

According to Division Chief Jason Shivers, the fire department was called to the building at about 9 p.m. Monday after someone discovered fire in the “green room” used as a waiting area for performers. 

Shivers said that people in the building had used an extinguisher to put the fire out before firefighters arrived, and that their main involvement was removing smoke from the building. 

He said the fire was caused by an electronic cigarette being charged in a purse. “It apparently overheated, setting the purse and its contents on fire, which then spread to the carpet, a table, and one wall in the room.” 

“We’re very fortunate the building was occupied, and that someone was there to see the fire before it spread,” said Shivers.