By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Explosion injures one
Worker heard 'loud bang' at business
polaris fire 4 jd
Firefighters work to cool down melting containers of vehicles after an explosion and fire Wednesday morning at Polaris of Cumming. - photo by Jim Dean (previous profile)

A fire at a recreational vehicle business left one man injured and disrupted traffic Wednesday morning on Veterans Memorial Boulevard.

Forsyth County Fire Capt. Kevin Wallace said the cause of the blaze, which happened about 9:15 a.m. at Polaris of Cumming, is under investigation.

Wallace said a man, whose name has not been released, was taken to Northside Hospital-Forsyth with what were described as minor burns.

"It looks like the fire started outside the business," Wallace said. "There's exposure to some motorcycles, Polaris rangers and a couple of four wheelers."

Ashley Wigley, a Polaris employee, said a propane tank exploded.

"I heard a loud bang," she said. "We didn't know what was going on."

Wallace said Polaris was open when the fire started and likely would be able to reopen Wednesday.

"It didn't hurt the interior of the building," he said, adding that equipment that was kept on racks in storage was damaged.

Staff Writer Frank Reddy contributed to this report.