NORTH FORSYTH — A family of three has been displaced after a fire damaged their northwest Forsyth home early Saturday.
Forsyth County Fire Division Chief Jason Shivers said a lightning strike caused the fire on Pisgah Road that destroyed a detached carport garage and both vehicles parked underneath.
The fire was reported just after midnight during a storm, shortly after both the homeowner and neighbors called 911 to report a lightning strike nearby.
They had reportedly gone outside to check where the hit occurred but were unable to see any immediate flames.
Shivers said the effect of the strike smoldered “for some time” before bursting into visibility.
“It impacted the home to a small degree,” he said. “It extended into a living room area, but that’s where crews stopped it.”
The home suffered “fairly significant” smoke and water damage but was salvaged.
A married couple, their adult daughter and three dogs all escaped without injury, Shivers said.
“One dog ran back inside as crews were beginning suppression efforts, but they went in and got him out without a problem,” he said.
The family is reportedly staying with relatives or friends until the house is deemed livable again or other arrangements can be made.