By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Man killed in head-on collision
Wreck closes Hwy. 53 for hours
Tanker Fatal 1 es
Forsyth County Sheriff's Sgt. Bill Loring works the scene of a fatal wreck Wednesday afternoon at Hwy. 53 and Porter Lane. - photo by Emily Saunders
A 62-year-old Alpharetta man was killed Wednesday afternoon when his pickup collided with a fuel tanker in northeastern Forsyth County.

The wreck, which happened about 2:45 p.m. at Porter Lane and Hwy. 53, involved a white 1981 Isuzu Pup pickup and a 2006 Peterbilt tanker that authorities say was carrying 400 gallons of diesel fuel.

The impact killed the driver of the Isuzu, who authorities have identified as Terry Rettig of Kimball Bridge Road in Alpharetta.

The driver of the tanker, 31-year-old Jerry Lamar McClure of Gainesville, was not injured.

The fatality was the second in a week and third of the year in Forsyth County. All three deaths have come since May 4.

Wednesday's collision was similar to the June 3 wreck that claimed the life of a 39-year-old man, whose vehicle crossed the centerline and struck a large box truck on Atlanta Highway (Hwy. 9) in south Forsyth.

The other driver was injured but not charged in the wreck.

A 72-year-old woman was killed May 4 in a head-on collision on Keith Bridge Road in northeastern Forsyth.

An 18-year-old driver faces one count each of second-degree vehicular homicide and failure to maintain in connection with the wreck.

According to witness accounts of Wednesday’s collision, the Isuzu was traveling west on Hwy. 53 when it crossed the highway and struck the tanker head on.

Forsyth County Sheriff’s traffic investigator Ron Tomblin said officials have not been determined why the pickup left its lane.

Tomblin said alcohol or drugs were not a factor, and that no charges will be filed against McClure.

A small amount of diesel fuel spilled onto the road and oil leaked from the tanker where the bottom of the engine was ripped out.

The county fire department’s hazardous materials team was called to the scene in case the truck’s load of fuel began to leak.

Both Porter and Hwy. 53 were shut down for more than three hours, snarling traffic along the well-traveled corridor.

The situation and cleanup were hampered by heavy rain that moved across the area in the afternoon.