By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Candlelight vigil to honor slain Forsyth County 911 officer
dispatcher for WEB
Many friends and colleagues of a slain 911 officer are using this as their social media profile image.


* See previous article -- Woman slain in Dawsonville murder-suicide was a Forsyth County 911 officer.

NORTH FORSYTH — North Forsyth High School will play host to a somber ceremony Sunday night as members of the community are invited to gather for a candlelight vigil and memorial service to honor a slain Forsyth County 911 communications officer.

Those attending are encouraged to wear green, which was the favorite color of Erin Niccole Jones, who was killed Wednesday in what authorities said was a murder-suicide.

According to the Dawson County Sheriff’s Office, the 28-year-old woman was shot to death by her live-in boyfriend at their home on Maple Hill Drive in downtown Dawsonville.

The vigil will be held at 8 p.m. on the track field at North, 3635 Coal Mountain Drive.

“Her family said they want people to be able to speak about Erin and tell stories about Erin and talk,” said Rebecca McClung, assistant director of the Forsyth County 911 center. “That will lead into the candlelight vigil.”

Candles will be provided to those attending who wish to carry one.

McClung said this tragic incident has garnered “a lot more response than I initially thought.”

Members of the 911 center came up with the idea to hold the ceremony, she said, which coincided with the wishes of Jones’ family.

Family members who are expected to be there Sunday include her parents, two small children and two brothers. Two stepchildren may also attend, McClung said.

Colleagues who worked with Elberton-born Jones at the dispatch center, where she had been employed since 2011 and was a supervisor, and friends have been changing their social media profile photos to a thin yellow line surrounded by black in her memory.

Dawson County Sheriff’s deputies found that David Geyer II, 43, turned a gun on himself after shooting Jones about 1 p.m. Wednesday.

None of their children were present at the time.

It is believed that Jones was on the phone with emergency dispatch when she was killed.