By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Authorities: 3-year-old left home alone leads to Forsyth County woman’s arrest

Local authorities have arrested a Forsyth County mother after it was discovered that her 3-year-old son had allegedly been left home alone while she and another individual allegedly drank alcohol at a Cumming restaurant on Saturday morning.

According to Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Cpl. Doug Rainwater, Kelly May Algar, 26, was taken into custody at about 10:25 a.m. on Saturday, June 29, after being admitted to Northside Hospital Forsyth in an “extremely” intoxicated state.

Jeff Harvey, owner of Good Ol’ Days Bar and Grill told the Forsyth County News that Algar and man arrived at the establishment at 1:40 a.m. on Saturday appearing normal and each ordered a drink. Told that it was almost last call, the pair ordered one more drink each, then went outside when the bar closed at 2 a.m. 

Harvey said that after about 20 minutes the man fell off a bench and “went catatonic.” 

" My security and I called 911 for fear the man was in dire need of medical attention, ' said Harvey, who explained that he watched as officers administered Naloxone for a suspected opiate overdose.  The man was then taken away in an ambulance according to Harvey, "my security guard might have saved their lives." 

Rainwater said that Algar and the man were then transported to the hospital and the sheriff’s office became involved in the situation at about 2:30 a.m. on Saturday after Algar allegedly told hospital staff that she “needed to go home and take care of her 3-year-old.”

Based on Algar’s statements to hospital staff, deputies were dispatched to her north Forsyth home and allegedly found a child who was safe but that had been allegedly been left alone for several hours, Rainwater said.

Due to the circumstances of the situation, Algar has been charged with reckless conduct and cruelty to children.

Rainwater said that although the child was unharmed in the incident, things could have been much worse under different circumstances.

“There’s 520 different things that can go wrong in the first minutes when leaving a 3-year-old child alone,” he said.

Algar was held in the Forsyth County Jail until July 1, when she was released on a $22,735 bond.

Attempts to reach Algar for comment were unsuccessful as of press time.