NORTH FORSYTH — Forsyth County school system officials are reminding residents of safety procedures after a recent hoax at a school.
The district was notified Thursday by the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office that a bomb threat had been called in to Little Mill Middle.
“In the morning, local authorities were alerted of a bomb threat and it was referred to the school,” said Jennifer Caracciolo, a spokeswoman for the school system. “At the school, the administration and the school resource officers investigated it, and it was found not to be substantiated.
“Class proceeded throughout the remainder of the day without interruption. At no time were students in harm.”
Following the investigation, parents of students at the school in north Forsyth received an email letting them know what had happened and that administrators “found that it was a hoax.”
The email went on to note that the threat to safety of staff and students is “high priority” for the district and that officials “take situations such as these very seriously.”
But parents who contacted the Forsyth County News about the incident questioned the way it had been handled and wondered why there had been no explanation other than the email, particularly since it had occurred on the anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
According to school system officials, however, standard protocol for such a situation is to not evacuate the school. During the investigation, students and staff remained in class.
While she did not know the origin of the threat, Caracciolo said all schools have measures in place to protect students.
“We have school resource officers at every middle and high school, and we also have support structures at elementary schools,” she said.