By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Soccer: Williams terrorizes South again
sports-sfglynn1-web BH
South Forsyths Matteo Valente (5) battles for the ball on Tuesday in Brunswick. - photo by Bobby Haven

BRUNSWICK — Something about playing South Forsyth brings out the best in Glynn Academy’s Shawn Williams, Jr.

The sophomore scored the game’s only goal in the second half Tuesday to propel the Red Terrors to a 1-0 win over the War Eagles in a Class AAAA second round state playoff game at Glynn County Stadium.

Williams also scored both of Glynn’s goals in a 2-0 victory over South in last year’s state quarterfinals.

“I don’t know what it is about this team,” Williams said. “Coach just told me ... to do what I need to do. That’s what I did.”

Williams drilled a shot past South keeper Bjorn Kammaholz and into the bottom right corner of the net from the left side in the 46th minute. Luke Love found Williams wide open on the left side of the net with a quick back-heel pass.

“From now on, I’m going to tell Shawn every opponent we play is South Forsyth,” Glynn boys soccer coach Bobby Brockman said.

The Eagles (11-7-2) tried frantically to get the equalizer in the final minutes, but Glynn goalkeeper Connor Behrend stopped two shots in the final two minutes while another attempt sailed high over the crossbar.

“It was a pretty even game,” South coach Tom Braun said. “Unfortunately, we hit the crossbar. We had a few scoring opportunities early in the first half, and they capitalized on their [chances].”

The shutout was the Red Terrors’ 12th of the season.

Both teams were scoreless through the first half despite several good scoring opportunities.

The War Eagles caught Behrend out of position in the 11th minute, but the Terror defense cleared the ball from the net before South could take advantage.

The Terrors’ best chance to score in the opening half came off a free kick from just outside the box in the 35th minute. The ball kicked around the top of the box until Roman Brockman corralled it and rocketed a shot toward the net. Kammaholz made a diving save to keep the game scoreless.

South’s best scoring chance came in the 20th minute when an up-close attempt bounced off the crossbar. Behrend also saved a shot attempt in the 35th minute.

Glynn (18-2), the Region 2-AAAA runner-up, will travel to either Forest Park or Marist for a quarterfinal match Friday. The War Eagles’ season is complete.