By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Dash to the finish on registration
It's not too late to sign up for event Saturday
Placeholder Image
Forsyth County News

At a glance
* Those wishing to sign up for Saturday's Boulder Dash 5K can register online until the end of Thursday at www.BoulderDash5k.com or www.active.com. There will be no sign-ups Friday.
* Those who have already registered need to pick up their race packet some time between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Friday at the chamber's event facility, 212 Kelly Mill Road.
* Race day registration will be from 7 to 8:30 a.m. in the parking lot of Northside Hospital-Forsyth's Women's Center. The race begins at 9 a.m.

Those wishing to take part in Forsyth County's largest 5K race have until the end of Thursday to register at a reduced price.

Boulder Dash, an event organized by the Cumming-Forsyth County Chamber of Commerce, is set for Saturday.

Jason Mock of the chamber said nearly 1,100 people have registered to take part in the race, which begins at Northside Hospital-Forsyth.

From the hospital, the course takes runners along Ronald Reagan Boulevard through the Lafarge rock quarry and ending with Lafarge's Spring Fling festival.

Advanced registration of $30 ends Thursday and race day registration fee is $40. No sign-ups will be accepted Friday.

Mock said last year's race drew about 1,500 participants.

"Our goal is still that 1,500 mark, and we believe we can hit it," Mock said. "With spring break last week, a lot of families were out of town, but we think we'll have an uptick this week and Saturday."

In addition to the run itself, Mock said the event offers a wide range of "family-friendly activities."

"We have about 22 vendors out in tents," he said. "There'll also be a moon walk for the kids, a DJ and Lafarge will have a lot of their large equipment out for the kids to climb on."

Anyone who has already registered for the race, Mock said, should plan to come to the chamber's event facility between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Friday to pick up their race packet.

"We'll be operating on the honor system, so if someone wants to come by and pick up a packet for a family member or friend, that's fine," he said.

On Saturday, registration will be from 7 to 8:30 a.m. in the parking lot of the Northside-Forsyth Women's Center. The race will start at 9 a.m.

Mock said he and other organizers are hoping for pleasant weather.

"I've heard there's a 20 percent chance of rain, but like someone told me, that's an 80 percent chance of sunshine," he said.