The past few weeks have been difficult for Lunell Robbs, but she’s thankful for all the concern the community has shown after fire damaged her popular Cumming restaurant.
“We really appreciate the support and the calls and the comments … and all our customers,” said Robbs, owner of Mr. Swiss. “It’s been really wonderful.”
The longtime breakfast eatery on Atlanta Highway has been closed since the Jan. 22 blaze, though Robbs plans to reopen as soon as possible.
“Right now we’re just in the process of working with the insurance companies and cleanup,” she said.
“It’s quite a bit of damage on the inside … it’s a lot of smoke damage, so right now we’re just beginning to make contact with a company to get equipment out to clean up.”
Forsyth County Fire Department officials confirmed Wednesday that the fire has been ruled an accident.
“I talked with our investigations division and I can tell that the Mr. Swiss fire … is in fact accidental and electrical in nature,” said Fire Division Chief Jason Shivers.
The Mr. Swiss blaze began about 2:15 a.m. Jan. 22. According to Shivers, the fire started after the first employee arrived to begin morning duties, which included preparing biscuits to send out for sale at local convenience stores.
The worker called 911 when the blaze broke out, and firefighters had the flames contained shortly after arriving.
The interior of the building suffered “heavy smoke damage, moderate water damage and relatively minor fire damage,” according to officials.
Mr. Swiss, which opened in 1971, has been closed since the blaze.
Robbs said she and her staff are all “anxious to get back.”
“We definitely need to reopen,” she said. “… I’ve never in 42 years been out of work this long. We take some vacations, but we don’t take much time off, so we’re as anxious as we can be to get this started back up.”