By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Weekend water main break affects Buford Highway
water-main WEB

A water main break affected several businesses and homes on Buford Highway (Hwy. 20) in east Forsyth over the weekend, even causing at least one to close for the day.

On Saturday, water service was affected for some along the commuter route after a contractor for a private business damaged a water line owned by the city of Cumming and knocked out service for neighborhoods and businesses in the area.

“A contractor was installing a water line for the development, and the contractor hit the city’s 16-inch water line,” said Jon Heard, the city’s utilities director.

Heard said service has returned to normal, and crews worked diligently to fix the issue.

“Approximately within 30 minutes the water line was turned off, and approximately four hours went by before the waterline was repaired,” he said. “Part of that time was just time to allow concrete to harden, we had to pour concrete around the end of the line to provide strength.”

Heard said the city was not able to measure how much water spilled from the line.

Work was further inhibited by a motorcycle accident near the line break.

“There was a motorcycle accident at the site, and that impeded crews from being able to access the leak site, and that caused the repair process to take quite a bit longer than it should have,” Heard said.

Heard said a number of neighborhoods and businesses on the corridor were affected.

One of those businesses was barbecue restaurant ‘Cue, which is located at 1370 Buford Highway.

“We were out of business,” General Manager Brad Fyle said. “We had to go out and buy bottled water, because everything here is made from scratch, homemade. It definitely affected us; we didn’t open for the whole day, because we wouldn’t have had any food prepped for that night. Without water we can’t do anything.”

Fyle said no one with the company was angry and that they understood things happen, so they used the time to clean.

“We were just glad they got it back on, and they did work very hard to get it back up and running, which we were thankful for,” he said.
Heard also praised the work done by crews under the conditions.

“Crews worked diligently. They came together as a team and did a very good job,” he said. “I’m proud of them, and under the circumstance and in light of the accident, the busyness of Hwy. 20, I think the crews did a great job.”