The Forsyth County Fire Department spent several hours Monday afternoon investigating what appears to have been an accidental chemical reaction at a south Forsyth manufacturer.
The incident occurred about 2:30 p.m. at Hansgrohe, a German company that manufactures kitchen and bathroom appliances, on Bluegrass Lakes Parkway (click for map) off McFarland Road.
Fire Capt. Jason Shivers said it appears nitric and hydrocholoric acids were accidentally combined while employees were cleaning at the business.
The fire department’s hazardous materials unit was called out to investigate the situation, which reportedly resulted in a yellow cloud of smoke.
No one was hurt in the incident, which forced the evacuation of about 80 employees from the plant.
Shivers said one worker, whose name has not been released, drove himself to Northside Hospital-Forsyth as a precautionary measure. The employee later complained of breathing difficulties, possibly as a result of exposure to the chemicals.
A hazardous materials unit from the fire department of nearby Alpharetta also responded to the incident.
Firefighters remained inside the building throughout Monday afternoon and evening, making certain the spilled material was contained.
According to Shivers, hazardous materials technicians were able to turn the building back over to the property owner about 9:15 p.m. on Monday.
Shivers said a third party company likely would handle the extensive cleaning and decontaminating process.
The plant was not expected to open Tuesday. Company officials could not be reached for comment.