By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Case against mom, boyfriend builds
Couple faces additional charges; one child still hospitalized

Additional charges have been filed against the mother of twin boys, who fell mysteriously ill this week, and her live-in boyfriend.

The Forsyth County Sheriff's Office on Friday charged Laurel Corrine Gray, 29, of 5959 John Burruss Road with one count each of reckless conduct, hindering the apprehension of a fugitive and tampering with evidence.

Her boyfriend, 27-year-old Michael Robert Conley, was also charged with reckless conduct and obstruction of an investigation.

Sheriff's Investigator Mike Garrison said one of the boys remained hospitalized in critical condition Friday with an illness that has puzzled doctors and authorities.

The other twin, as well as their 3-year-old sister, have been released to the custody of the Georgia Division of Family and Children Services.

Garrison and Sheriff's Sgt. Joe Whirlow explained that the reckless conduct charge stemmed from prescription medicine being left on a night stand where the children could reach it.

They said the medication was not prescribed to either Gray or Conley. Gray also reportedly destroyed evidence pertinent to the investigation.

Both suspects have been held at the Forsyth County Detention Center since they were arrested Tuesday.

Gray's bond has been set at $28,655, while Conley's is $28,980, a jail spokeswoman said. 

The couple was already facing one count each of possession of more than one ounce of marijuana and intent to distribute, both felonies.

In addition, Gray was charged with a misdemeanor count of obstruction of an investigation.

Authorities said the charges stem from a search of the couple's home after both of Gray's 4-year-old boys were taken to Children's Hospital of Atlanta at Egleston.

She reported early Monday morning that one of the boys was unresponsive and having respiratory problems.

As he was being taken to the hospital, she left the other twin and their sister with a babysitter on Little Mill Road.

The second boy fell ill hours later and he and the girl, who did not appear to be sick, were taken to the hospital to be evaluated.

Conley ran, Garrison said, when he found out investigators planned to search the home.

"We were looking for Michael Conley and he knew we had warrants on him," the investigator said. "She knew and provided monetary assistance to him."

Sheriff's Lt. Col. Gene Moss said the investigation to determine what made the children sick is ongoing.

He added authorities are waiting for test results to confirm their suspicions about the type of medication that was left where the children could find it.