By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Chase ends in wreck at courthouse
Three injured, including suspect
Car Chase 2 es
The suspect in Friday's chase and wreck is moved from the back of a patrol car to be taken to a hospital. Two other people also were injured in the incident. - photo by Emily Saunders

A 25-year-old man fleeing a traffic stop was caught Friday after a high-speed chase that ended with a crash at the Forsyth County Courthouse.

Three people, including the suspect, were injured in the wreck, which involved several vehicles and tied up tied up lunchtime traffic in downtown Cumming.

Forsyth County Sheriff’s Maj. Paul Taylor said Henry Rupert Webb attempted to run away after the crash.

Webb was caught with the help of Cumming police near Goodson Drug Co., across East Maple Street from the courthouse.

Taylor said Webb, a Forsyth County resident, likely will face charges in connection with the chase.

The Georgia State Patrol is handling the wreck investigation because some of the sheriff’s vehicles involved in the incident were damaged.

Trooper D.F. Rice with the state patrol confirmed Taylor’s account, but declined to release further details.

Forsyth County Fire Capt. Jason Shivers said the suspect was taken to North Fulton Hospital after complaining of pain in his upper body.

Webb was traveling alone. Authorities have not released the names of the other two injured people.

A 40-year-old woman, who complained of neck pain, and a 67-year-old woman were taken to Northside Hospital-Forsyth, Shivers said.

He said the older woman went for evaluation but did not appear to be injured.

Taylor said the incident began with a traffic stop at Freedom Parkway and Hwy. 306 in north Forsyth.

“[Webb] and our deputy got into a physical altercation there,” Taylor said. “He jumped back in his truck and the pursuit went from there.”

Webb was driving a white Chevrolet Silverado. Preliminary reports indicated the chase reached speeds of 90 mph.

Authorities used stop sticks on Hwy. 9 south to slow the Silverado, which then traveled a short distance before crashing downtown about 12:30 p.m.

The truck struck the back of a black Ford F150, which then rear-ended a white Lexus sedan.

The Silverado landed on the sidewalk in front of the courthouse.