By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Escaped inmate, accomplice remain in custody

CUMMING — An inmate who escaped from the Cumming police headquarters turned himself in after nearly 48 hours on the loose.

According to the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office, 38-year-old Koby Matthew Blanchard walked away from a work detail Friday at the police department’s building near downtown Cumming.

He had been loaned out of custody for janitorial services, according to a sheriff’s report.

Blanchard arrived at the police station about 8 a.m. and was apparently picked up by Cheryl Hewatt Broome, 57, some 30 minutes later. The sheriff’s office wasn’t notified he was missing until about 2:35 p.m.

An investigation into his whereabouts stretched into the weekend with, help from the Dawson County Sheriff’s Office and Georgia State Patrol.

“We tracked down a lot of leads and put a lot of pressure on his contacts,” said Robin Regan, a spokesman for the local sheriff’s office. “That left him with a lot less places to turn.”

It wasn’t immediately clear where Blanchard had been or how he spent his free time. He turned himself in without incident about noon Sunday at the Forsyth County Detention Center, Regan said.

Blanchard was being held on pending charges of burglary, theft, arson, tampering with evidence and giving false statements, according to Regan, who added that the escapee had a history of burglary and theft. Now he will face additional charges of attempted escape.

In announcing his escape Friday, the sheriff’s office said Blanchard was not considered a public safety threat or believed to be armed.

Broome, the woman who reportedly assisted Blanchard, was arrested Friday night and charged with aiding escape, hindering apprehension and possession of controlled substances, according to Regan and the incident report.

As of Tuesday, the suspects, who have the same address in north Forsyth, remained in custody.

Regan said the sheriff’s office is continuing to investigate any additional people who may have aided Blanchard.