Fire officials do not suspect foul play in a Saturday night blaze that claimed the lives of three family members and destroyed a home in north Forsyth.
Forsyth County Fire Capt. Jason Shivers said Monday night that the fire started in a bedroom of the mobile home at 8905 Little Mill Road.
“We feel comfortable that it is not a suspicious fire and the investigation is going forward as an accidental fire,” Shivers said.
He added that the home had smoke detectors, but there were no batteries in them.
The home's occupants have been identified by the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office as Sue Iams, 77, and her adult children, Thomas Iams, 52, and Kimberly Iams, 47.
Firefighters removed two of the people from inside the three-bedroom home, but they had already died. Shivers said autopsies would likely reveal the exact cause of death.
A passing motorist spotted the flames about 10:45 p.m. Saturday. The driver then stopped to report the flames at Fire Station 8, which is not far from the home, Shivers said.
Online Editor Jim Dean contributed to this report.