By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Gainesville man charged for fatal wreck
Wreck on Browns Bridge Road killed a Monroe County woman in February
Ryan Travanti Stephens
Ryan Travanti Stephens

A Gainesville man has been arrested in connection with a fatal wreck on Browns Bridge Road that killed a Monroe County woman in February, authorities say. 

Ryan Travanti Stephens, 34, of Gainesville was arrested on Saturday and was charged with homicide by vehicle following an investigation into the wreck by the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office, said Cpl. Doug Rainwater, a spokesman for the sheriff’s office,  

According to a press release by the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office, on Feb. 18, Stephen was traveling eastbound on Browns Bridge Road near Jot Em Down Road in a 2002 Infinity when it allegedly crossed over the center line and struck a 2006 Chevrolet truck traveling west. 

The infinity’s passenger, 26-year-old Wachovia Thompson of Monroe County, was killed on impact with the Chevrolet and the driver, Stephens, received serious burn injuries in the wreck, Rainwater said. 

Stephens was arrested by the Hall County Sheriff’s Office on Saturday after being released from Northeast Georgia Medical Center in Hall County. He has been charged with second-degree homicide by vehicle, driving without a valid license, driving too fast for conditions and failure to maintain lane, according to Rainwater. 

An incident report from the wreck states that the Infinity “left the roadway and it appeared that the driver overcorrected and went into the other lane” before impacting with the Chevrolet and catching fire. 

Rainwater said that neither Stephens nor Thompson had any identification with them in the vehicle, and both had to be identified by their fingerprints.

After the incident, the driver of the Chevrolet and two juvenile passengers were taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries and have since recovered, Rainwater said. 

Stephens was transported to the Forsyth County Jail by Hall County deputies and as of press time remained there under a bond of $4,205.