By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Ill twin still in hospital
Authorities say he's improving

Nearly two weeks after being hospitalized for a mysterious illness, the health of a 4-year-old Forsyth County boy appears to be improving.

Forsyth County Sheriff's Major Dan Jagoe said the child, whose name has not been released, is stable but still in intensive care at Children's Hospital of Atlanta at Egleston.

The boy was hospitalized Feb. 28, after his mother reported that he was unresponsive and having respiratory problems.

He was originally listed in guarded condition, which is worse than critical, authorities said.

Hours later, the boy's twin brother started showing similar symptoms. He and the twins' 3-year-old sister were taken to the hospital as well.

The illness has puzzled doctors and authorities, who are reportedly awaiting test results to narrow the possibilities.

As a result of the ensuing investigation, the children's mother, 29-year-old Laurel Corrine Gray, has been charged by the sheriff's office with one count each of reckless conduct, hindering the apprehension of a fugitive and tampering with evidence.

Her live-in-boyfriend, Michael Robert Conley, 27, was also charged with reckless conduct.

In addition, they have each been charged with one count each of possession of more than one ounce of marijuana and intent to distribute, as well as obstruction of an investigation.

Jagoe said Gray and Conley, who is not the children's father, remain in custody at the Forsyth County Detention Center.

While the first boy to have fallen ill remains hospitalized, his brother and sister have been released to the custody of the Georgia Division of Family and Children Services.

Authorities began investigating Gray and Conley after the children fell ill.

The charges stem from the investigation, which revealed that prescription medication had been left where the children could reach it in the family's home at 5959 Burruss Road.

The medication was not prescribed to either Gray or Conley.