By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Milton High principal arrested after DUI wrecks in Forsyth
Crashed a third time in Cherokee County

FORSYTH COUNTY — The principal of Milton High School has resigned after he was arrested over the weekend on charges of driving under the influence and leaving the scene of two separate wrecks in Forsyth County.

By the time authorities found 37-year-old Nathan Buhl of Canton, he had reportedly been involved in a third crash in neighboring Cherokee County.

In a statement, Fulton County School Superintendent Robert Avossa supported Buhl’s decision to resign.

“I’m disappointed in the charges against Dr. Buhl, but believe he has done the right thing by stepping down as principal,” Avossa said. “He is taking full responsibility for his actions and their consequences, and this sends the right message to the students and community we serve.”

Buhl was about to begin his first year at Milton, where he had been named principal in May. He previously served as principal of Crabapple Middle School in Roswell.

According to the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office reports, deputies were first alerted to Buhl’s travels after a hit-and-run incident Saturday night. Buhl reportedly drove away in a Chrysler 300 after striking a parked vehicle in a neighborhood off Browns Bridge Road in north Forsyth.

“The vehicle [Buhl was driving] came back to being registered in Cherokee County,” said Robin Regan, a spokesman for the sheriff’s office. “We contacted the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office ... they told us they were already out with the vehicle and it had wrecked inside Cherokee County.

That single-vehicle crash had occurred about 10:30 p.m. on Hwy. 20 near Old Mill Road, according to Cherokee sheriff’s reports. Deputies found Buhl’s vehicle resting on its driver’s side, wedged between two trees.

Emergency personnel had to remove the windshield to get Buhl out. He was then taken to North Fulton Hospital, where he spoke with authorities from both counties.

According to the Cherokee Sheriff’s Office, Buhl admitted to drinking but stated he didn’t recall either wreck. However, he said he had been involved in a crash on Ga. 400 in Forsyth.

The results of a blood-alcohol test weren’t immediately available.

Buhl has been charged in Forsyth with DUI, leaving the scene of an accident, striking an unattended vehicle and failure to maintain lane.

Jay Baker, a spokesman for the Cherokee Sheriff’s Office, said Buhl’s vehicle got a flat tire at some point during the night. He apparently had traveled a significant distance on it, having worn the tire down to the metal rim.

It was later confirmed that the first crash Buhl had been involved in occurred earlier Saturday on Ga. 400.

According to Forsyth sheriff’s reports, the car he was driving sideswiped another southbound vehicle about 9:15 p.m. on Ga. 400 at Pilgrim Mill Road near Cumming.

No one was injured, and the damage to both vehicles was moderate, but Buhl drove off, according to Regan.

From the hospital, Buhl went to the Forsyth County Detention Center. He was released hours later after posting a $8,525 bond.

Two days later, at about midnight on Tuesday, he turned himself in to Cherokee authorities.

“He had two incidents in Forsyth County,” Baker said. “We let them take him that night. Once the warrants were secured in Cherokee County, he turned himself in on Tuesday.”

Baker said Buhl was in the Cherokee Jail for about three hours, then left after posting a bond of $3,730.

In Cherokee, Buhl faces charges of weaving over a roadway, reckless driving, operating an automobile in unsafe conditions and DUI.