By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Mother of ill twins faces drug charges
Her boyfriend also arrested

The mother of twins who fell mysteriously ill earlier this week is facing felony drug charges.

According to the Forsyth County Sheriff's Office, Laurel Corrine Gray, 29, of 5959 John Burruss Road and her live-in boyfriend, Michael Robert Conley, were arrested Tuesday night.

Gray and Conley, 27, have each been charged with one count each of possession of more than one ounce of marijuana and intent to distribute.

Authorities say the drug charges are not related to the children's situation.

In addition, Gray has been charged with a misdemeanor count of obstruction of an investigation.

Both suspects are being held at the Forsyth County Detention Center. Gray's bond has been set at $28,655, while Conley's is $28,980, a jail spokeswoman said.

Sheriff's deputies served a search warrant on the couple's north Forsyth home Monday, after both of Gray's 4-year-old boys were taken to Children's Hospital of Atlanta at Egleston.

Gray reported early that morning that one of the children was unresponsive and having respiratory problems.

While he was en route to the hospital, she left the other twin and their 3-year-old sister with a baby sitter on Little Mill Road, authorities have said.

Hours later, the second boy fell ill with similar symptoms and he and his sister were also taken to the hospital.

Forsyth County Sheriff's Investigator Mike Garrison said the child who initially became sick is listed in critical condition at the hospital.

The other two children have been released to the Georgia Division of Family and Children Services.

Conley, who Garrison said is not the children's father, fled when he learned investigators were going to search the house.

Authorities have not said whether the children suffered the same illness.

Sheriff's Lt. Col. Gene Moss said investigators continue to look into the cause of the illnesses and are working with medical staff to narrow the possibilities.

Some evidence has been sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, Moss said, and authorities are waiting on medical test results from doctors at the hospital.