By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
North Forsyth standoff suspect arrested July Fourth for BUI
Mercer mug

CUMMING — A north Forsyth man who was the focus of an armed standoff at his home in March became reacquainted with law enforcement over the July Fourth weekend.

As of Tuesday, 51-year-old Kenneth Tyrone Mercer remained in custody at the Forsyth County Detention Center after his arrest Saturday on charges of boating under the influence and failing to obey waterway markers.

According to the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office, marine patrol units on Lake Lanier responded about 10 p.m. to a boat traveling above idle speed and causing a “large wake” in the no wake area of Bald Ridge Marina near Cumming.

Mercer reportedly appeared to move slowly and explain with slurred words that he was headed to Port Royale Marina, which is miles away in north Forsyth, while having to use his arms to stabilize himself.

His arrest was reported without resistance, and is bondable at $2,855.

Mercer’s last visit to the detention center ended on March 10 when he was released following an hour-long standoff five days earlier.

That situation culminated when he was subdued with a Taser in the yard of his Swiss Air Road home.

Though he never fired a weapon at the four deputies involved, he reportedly pointed a shotgun toward them and had fired a different gun prior to their arrival.

He was indicted in April by a Forsyth County grand jury for his alleged actions during the incident, which were represented as four counts of aggravated assault on a peace officer.

At the time, Bethel and other roads were closed down with nearby homes being evacuated.

It was thought he had intended to provoke deputies into a “suicide-by-cop” situation. His wife drove to a fire station on nearby Browns Bridge Road to report his hostile behavior.

Negotiators were able to speak with Mercer as he paced his yard and members of the sheriff’s SWAT team approached him in an armored Bearcat personnel carrier.

Just after he lay down his shotgun and deputies were about to take him into custody, Mercer apparently lunged for the weapon before being detained.