By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Police chase ends in gunfire
Pursuit of parolee began on Ga. 400 in south Forsyth
Chase scene 2 es
Officers work the scene of a fiery crash in Alpharetta. The wreck was the culmination of a high-speed chase that had begun on Ga. 400 in Forsyth County. - photo by Emily Saunders

A two-county high speed chase down Ga. 400 ended in a fiery wreck and gunfire Thursday in Alpharetta.

Authorities said a prison parolee was shot twice by an Alpharetta police officer after trying to run over her.

Officer George Gordon with the Alpharetta Department of Public Safety said the man was struck twice in the abdomen, but continued driving through downtown Alpharetta with authorities in pursuit. 

The chase continued on to Mid Broadwell Road, where a Forsyth County Sheriff's deputy used a vehicle manuever, causing the car to crash into a utility pole, toppling it.

Gordon said the driver, whose name has not been released, crawled from the vehicle before it caught fire.

The suspect, who authorities said was wearing an ankle monitoring device and is on parole, was arrested and taken to North Fulton Hospital.

He faces numerous charges in Alpharetta and Forsyth County, where the chase began about 1 p.m.

Gordon said a Forsyth County Sheriff's deputy pulled over a Pontiac Grand Prix for traffic violations on Ga. 400 near Shiloh Road.

Gordon said the driver gave a fake name and then fled when the deputy discovered it was false.

The driver left 400 at Windward Parkway, heading toward Alpharetta, striking four vehicles along the way, Gordon said.

As the chase came through the city's downtown area, the suspect hit two other vehicles and tried to run over an officer, who was attempting to stop traffic.

The chase continued onto Mid Broadwell Road, where the vehicle crashed. 

The officer's name has not been released. Per department policy, the officer has been placed on administrative leave, pending an investigation by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Staff Writer Julie Arrington and Photographer Emily Saunders contributed to this report.