By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Slaying suspect pleads not guilty
Capital case one of several in 11
Placeholder Image
Forsyth County News

The defendant in what could be one of four death penalty cases conducted this year in Forsyth County appeared in court Friday.

Nakitta Holmes, 19, pleaded not guilty to two counts of armed robbery, one count of aggravated assault, one count of murder and two counts of felony murder in Superior Court.

The charges are the result of a late night armed robbery and shooting Sept. 5 of 37-year-old David Casto of Winder, who was working security at Ingles on Canton Road.

Last month, Forsyth County Dis-trict Attorney Penny Penn announced she would seek the death penalty against Holmes, one of four suspects in the case.

Sharod Johnson, 18, and Tyrice Kendall Adside, 19, both of Forsyth County, and Tavarius Jackson, 17, of Buford, have pleaded not guilty to the same charges.

In addition, Holmes of Buford has also been indicted on one count of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Penn is not seeking capital punishment against the other three suspects.

Prosecutors, as well as Holmes’ attorneys Joseph Romond and Brad Gardner, have until Aug. 5 to file motions in his case.

Penn said county prosecutors could try four death penalty cases this year, including the one involving Holmes.

She said the state’s case against Marcin Sosniak is scheduled to begin in July. The trial could last at least a month.

"We’re announcing four to six weeks including jury selection," Penn said. "It’s tough because we don’t know how long that will take and you’ve got to account for time for deliberations, sentencing if we get to that … you have a better feel once you actually get in there."

Sosniak, Jason McGhee and Frank Ortegon have pleaded not guilty in connection with a March 19, 2006, massacre at a farmhouse off Ronald Reagan Boulevard.

Four people, including three teenagers, were killed in the attack.

Penn is seeking the death penalty against all three men, who will be tried separately.

She said trials for McGhee and Ortegon have not been scheduled.