By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism.
Suspect in chase faces many charges
Car Chase 1 es
Emergency personnel remove a suspect from a patrol car after Friday’s high-speed chase. - photo by Emily Saunders
A 25-year-old man is out on bond following a high-speed chase that ended in a crash in front of the Forsyth County Courthouse.

Forsyth County Sheriff’s Capt. Frank Huggins said Henry Rupert Webb faces 13 charges, some of which are felonies, including obstruction of an officer and fleeing or attempting to elude.

He also has been charged with reckless driving, aggravated assault on an officer and possession of methamphetamine.

Huggins said Webb, a county resident, was released Saturday from the Forsyth County Detention after posting $60,450 bond.

Before the 2003 Chevrolet Silverado Webb was driving landed on the courthouse sidewalk, it struck the back of a 2000 Ford pickup, which then rear-ended a 2007 Lexus.

Both vehicles were stopped at a traffic light on Veterans Memorial Boulevard in downtown Cumming.

Two women injured in the collision were taken to the hospital with minor injuries, Huggins said.

The Georgia State Patrol is investigating the wreck, which also damaged sheriff’s vehicles.

The chase stemmed from a traffic stop at Freedom Parkway and Hwy. 306.

According to a sheriff’s report, Webb ran off the road after a deputy signaled him to pull over. The deputy noted that Webb was acting nervous.

Webb got out of the truck, at which time the report said he admitted having a “meth pipe” in his pocket.

A struggle ensued. The report said Webb then got back into his truck and led authorities on a chase that reached speeds of 90 to 100 mph, often into oncoming traffic, on several local roads.

The report shows that Webb got on Ga. 400, where he traveled north in the southbound lane into oncoming traffic at about 90 mph.

“Mr. Webb drove directly toward vehicles in what appeared to be multiple attempts to strike them or cause them to run off the roadway,” the report said.

It goes on to say that Webb sideswiped a parked pickup truck and street sign at Martin Road. The erratic journey continued to Hwy. 9.

“At the intersection of State Route 369, Mr. Webb drove around stopped vehicles in the southbound lanes, into the northbound lane and oncoming traffic and drove through a red traffic signal and continued southbound on State Route 9,” the report said.

Deputies laid stop strips on Hwy. 9, near Pilgrim Road, which Webb hit at about 90 mph.

He then drove through a red light at the crossing with Sawnee Drive and continued driving into oncoming traffic at 80 mph.

After the collision downtown, Webb attempted to run off. Sheriff’s deputies and Cumming police caught him a short distance away on East Maple Street.

He was booked at the jail Friday after being treated for injuries from the wreck.