SOUTH FORSYTH — A Lambert High School junior recently won the election to become the next state president of a business leadership club.
Royce Dickerson, a member of the school’s Future Business Leaders of America, will be the 2016-17 Georgia FBLA president after completing an application process and election campaign.
“I’ve always been interested in business since I started at Lambert, and I’ve always had a knack for leadership positions,” Dickerson said.
After becoming an officer of the nonprofit student organization at the school and regional levels, he said he decided he wanted to continue increasing his involvement.
“I wanted to give back my last year [of high school] to the FBLA members of the state,” he said.
As state president, Dickerson will preside over all Georgia FBLA events next school year, including the fall rally and the fall leadership, region and state conferences.
Dickerson said holding the position is “opening me up to a lot of connections at the state and national level.”
He said he has been interested in business since eighth grade and that he wants to one day run his own company.
According to Mahima Siripurapu, a peer of Dickerson and the school’s FBLA chapter reporter, he is the first from the county to hold the position.
Dickerson is not the only Lambert FBLA student to recently earn accolades.
Students earned a total of 33 medals at the 2016 Georgia FBLA State Leadership Conference in Athens, and Lambert earned a Gold Chapter – Superior rating.
According to Lambert FBLA adviser Susan Fagan, the following students will represent the school and Georgia at the June national leadership conference in Atlanta:
* Shayan Marchant and Kahan Parekh, first place in banking and financial systems
* Lauren Mattingly and Mackenzie Morrissey, first place in hospitality management
* Hunter Lee, first place in intro to information technology
* Molly Williams, second place in accounting II
* Sai Kilaru and Sayuj Shajith, second place in management information systems
* Tina Qin and Camercon Reeves, third place in emerging business issues
* Jordan Baker, third place in insurance and risk management
* Morgan Mauk, fourth place in accounting II
* Maggie Baxter, fourth place in agribusiness
* Jordan Baxter, fifth place in management decision making
* Dickerson, fifth place in management decision making